Approximately 1 in 4 patients with breast cancer has HER2+ breast cancer.
If you have HER2+ breast cancer, Herceptin is a therapy designed to help fight your kind of cancer.
How HER2+ breast cancer is different
Not all breast cancers are the same. HER2+ breast cancer cells have more HER2 receptors (a particular protein found on the surface of cells) than normal breast cells.
- Having too many HER2 receptors may make the cancer cells grow and divide faster, creating more HER2+ cancer cells
- HER2+ breast cancer is considered aggressive because it grows and spreads quickly.
- As part of a treatment course including the chemotherapy drugs Adriamycin® (doxorubicin), Cytoxan® (cyclophosphamide), and either Taxol® (paclitaxel) or Taxotere®(docetaxel). This treatment course is known as "AC→TH".
I startd my Herceptin therapy yesterday. I seemed to have no side effects and handled it well. Yesterday was also the first day in a week that I was able to stay home in the morning and do "normal" things. I made breakfast for the kids, we did some school, changed the sheets, it was GREAT! I am feeling much better and looking forward to the long 3-day weekend. Next Wednesday I get the Medi-port in my chest and will get one of my lymph nodes tested. After that I start Round #2 of chemo and start this cycle all over again. I am not going to think about that right now. I am learning that through this process I can't think too much. I have to just do what is needed today and not think about anything beyond that. I am also learning that fluids are crucial during chemo. I need to have water or powerade in my hand at all times. Being hydrated seems to help the nausea, weakness, fatigue, etc. It is amazing to think that even after two bags of IV fluids, that I could possibly be dehydrated.
These are just a few of my thoughts this morning. Sending love to all of you!
Sending love right back <3
ReplyDeleteLove you Kristen!! :)
ReplyDeleteAll of our prayers and love to you and your entire family.
ReplyDeleteDad & Mom Myler
Kris, your positivity and willingness to do your normal life stuff is inspiring!! Keep it up! Love you bunches.
ReplyDelete