Thursday, May 17, 2012

Chemo Day 1


  Today was my first day of chemo, but before my appointment Rachelle and I went to the American Cancer Society to check out WIGS!  Yep.  WIGS. It was a bit weird.  Am I really shopping for wigs?  They had a huge selection.  I'd have been in business if I wanted to look like Carol Brady or Alice from the Brady Bunch!  Seriously!?!  Needless to say I did not leave with a wig.  I did find a couple hats and a beanie that will work however.
  The appointment was at 1pm in the Cancer Center in Roseburg.  Before they started chemo they drew blood to test for a genetic marker to see if I'm more susceptible to other cancers.  The surgeon uses the test results to help determine what kind of surgery I will need.  That lab test takes 1 month for results.   Then they gave me benadryl and pepcid for nausua and Kytril to help ensure I don't have a bad reaction to the chemo.  The two chemo drugs I'm doing are Cytoxin and Taxotere and each of those run for about an hour via IV. 
The benadryl made me very sleepy and relaxed.  When the chemo went in my arm it burned but with the help of a heat sock it wasn't too bad.  After 2 hours my first chemo session is done!!   I go back tomorrow for a White Blood Cell booster shot to help minimize the bad reactions! 
Darryl was by my side the entire time!  Waiting on me hand and foot.  He's been my rock! 
    Tomorrow I go to Eugene for a consult with the surgeon.  They need to put a Medi Port into my chest so that they don't have to put an IV in every time. This will require a small surgery.  The port is where they will administer the chemo going forward.  The fewer the needles the BETTER!!



12 comments:

  1. Kristen - I love you so much! Just a quick note to tell you that we are praying for you, we will be celebrating the milestones and watching from a distance, really the only way we can, hoping that Heavenly Father will shower our faith, love and prayers down upon you. I'm sending lots of courage, hope and optimism through the airwaves - I wish we could carry some of the burden for you. And by the way, you're going to look great without hair, it's the second time around you know ... you didn't have much when you were little and you were dang cute. Wigs are silly in the summer you should get some of those awesome do-rags. You'd look HOT in those. And your future hair ... maybe it will come in red and curly or something crazy like that. Hugs to Darryl for having super wide shoulders to lean on. We will be here when you need us. Love Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, dear Kristen...what a shock to get the e-mail and read this blog. We miss everyone in Roseburg so much as we serve this mission and will add your new burden to our prayers. We DO live in Eugene now, so if you want a diversion when you come up here for ANYTHING you can visit us in the mission office or at our apartment (depending on what time of day it is:). Just let me know and I will give directions. I am so very glad you have strong loved ones around you for support and will be checking this blog daily! Love you, Sandy O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen - good job on finishing day one! My heart aches so much that you have to go through this - but I do know that your life will never be the same - it will have more meaning than ever before! We pray for you to have strength, stamina and peace. We know you can do this! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen you are so pretty. I'm sure you will still be smashing without too. I remember the wigs being really itchy and hot for Shaquel. So she liked wearing beanies or different pretty scarfs. Although cancer is scary, you will be fine, and make it through a stronger person. We will send lots of prayers your way. I know you have this trial because your strong and can handle it. We send our love, love Tiesha

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praying for you and your family! I love you Aunt Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen,
    Just wanted to send my love your way. Congrats on making it through day one! We'll be praying for you and sending tons of love your way during this difficult journey. If you need anything ever, please don't hesitate to ask. If you need a babysitter for the summer, I'm always looking for an excuse to go up to Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kristen,
    It is nice to have the blog as a way for us to keep updated on your progress. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers daily. Please let us know how we can help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen,
    Keep the smiles going! I can't even imagine how difficult this time is for you and your family, but I love the title of the this blog. You've GOT THIS! We are cheering for you in a distance and I'm very glad that this blog is here to keep us all in the loop. Stay strong! We love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just want you to know that we love you very much. Be strong because you will beat this. We are here to help you and support you. Heavenly Father loves you and he is there you uplift you and hold you. We are praying that this Cancer goes away and NEVER comes backs. We love you and we are thinking of you.
    If you need us to watch Meg and Roman for any amount of time or days we would love to, Dallen would be super duper happy.
    Love you and your beautiful family
    Evan, Dallen, Ariela and Wes

    ReplyDelete
  10. We received news and address to your blog via your parents. I recall when you were a young woman and sitting across from you in the bishop's office during interviews, how I felt the power of your faith and love of the Lord. It is clear that you continue to have that faith and love. You are in our prayers and we will petition the Lord to give you and your family the strength and faith to meet and overcome this challenge. We love you. Elder and Hermana Finlayson

    PS Hair is highly over rated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Day one is over. You are amazing. You will make it through this, and be stronger then ever. We love you! We pray for you, Daryl, Meg and Roman constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are proud of you! You have a great positive attitude, Love you all. Mom and Dad Myler

    ReplyDelete