Our journey through Stage IIB, estrogen and HER2 positive breast cancer.
Saturday, June 9, 2012
A look at Round #2-Week 1
I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful family! I got a text from Devery with Denise and Rance's pictures and I was completely overwhelmed. I was speechless! The tears just starting flowing! I hope each one of knows how much you mean to me and that I can feel your love and support each day. A little birdie told me that a few of the boys are planning on shaving their heads too, if you decide to do it, please take pictures, I would love to see them and also to put them on the blog for everyone in the family to see!
Darryl had to shave my head again today. So now it is definately BALD! It is a very weird feeling. But the tiny little hairs were falling out all over the place. When I wake up in the morning my pillow is all "fuzzy" as Meg put it. Each time I would touch my head, I would have hair all over my hand. What a strange reality we live in!
I am going to try and recap last week....Friday started Round #2 of chemo. Saturday and Sunday felt so weak and run down. Which was different from the first time around, which I did not feel too bad until day 5. Monday-Wednesday went each morning and got 1 liter of fluids. Also got the Neupagen (white blood cell booster) shot on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Wednesday after my fluids I really felt horrible. I went home and laid down in bed. About an hour later, I started a fever up to 101.6, chills, sweats..we called the oncologist and he told us to start an antibiotic and to take Tylenol every 4 hours. That was a very long day. I was in bed from noon until about 6am Thursday. I was able to sleep some of that time, but not much. Thursday morning the fever had gone down to 99.0. I had an appointment for lab work at 11:00 and then back to get fluids. Darryl took me in, usually it takes 5 minutes to get blood work. But that day the phlebotomist was new and not as fast. We waited for about half an hour. She finally got us in and drew my blood. We went right upstairs to get fluids. By then I was feeling so weak I did not think I could even make it back to the chair. I pictured myself just collapsing right there in the waiting room. Fortunately, I did not do that! They got me right back, took one look at me and got my IV started. They did 1 liter of fluids, then 1 liter of Rocephin (an antibiotic) and then another liter of fluids. Darryl said I was so pale and that my lips were white. Went home and slept. Friday morning mom came and took me back for more fluids and also the Herceptin therapy and the Neupagen shot. We were there for 4 hours.
Today I am feeling weak, but better than Thursday for sure! I am glad that I got the Mediport put in. All they have to do is put a little bit of Lidocaine under the skin and then poke this little thing into the port under my skin. It is SO much better than trying to get a vein every time. I was able to take off the binder that I have been wearing since surgery. It is just a wrap that they wrapped around my chest and abdomen to keep pressure on the surgery site. There is a big bruise under my arm and it is very sore.
I want you to know that prayers are answered. I have said so many little prayers over these past few weeks. Little things like, please don't let me throw up, don't let me throw up. Or just let me make it back to the chair, or make this dizziness go away, please make the dizziness go away. All of these things have been what I needed at the moment and Heavenly Father has helped me. I know He is with us and He is watching over our every need. I love you all! Have a great weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

wow Kristen, sounds like a pretty rough week. you are doing this though and I for one think you are managing all of this with grace and class. I hope you know how much you are loved and we keep you in our prayers each day. Hugs to you and your family. Love you!!!!
ReplyDelete