I have been thinking alot about all of the side effects that chemotherapy has on your body lately. I thought it might be helpful to write them all down and also document some of the things that I think are helping me through this process. I truly hope that none of you ever have to go through this. This information is to help me remember, once this summer is over, but also to help anyone else who may know someone going through chemo. Remember, these are things that I am experiencing, and have found that help me, everyone reacts differently. So, here it goes....
Fatigue................................1Tbsp of bee pollen in the morning mixed with juice.
Weakness............................bee pollen. Rest, rest, rest!
Dry lips................................a great chapstick (I use Burt's Bees-thank you Ranelle)
Dehydration.........................have both water and Powerade with you at all times, alternate back and forth.
Nausea................................wear SeaBand nausea wrist bands meant for motion sickness, they work! Can also drink ginger water. Eat Ritz crackers periodically throughout the day. That helps to settle your tummy.
Scalp pain.............................This happened at the beginning for me, right before my hair started to come out. It only lasts a few weeks. Once your hair falls out, it doesn't hurt anymore.
Hair loss................................Sorry, not much I can do about that! It will just happen.
Cold bald head........................Buffs are my new best friend-thank you mom and Robin!
Hot bald head.........................Put a cold rice sock on your head. Just go bald as much as you can.
Taste changes.........................Again, not much I have found to help that. Food just doesn't have much taste during chemotherapy. Your taste buds are fried.
Dizziness...............................Try to stay as hydrated as possible. Lay in bed. :)
Fever/chills..............................Call your doctor if over 100 degrees. They will let you know what to do.
Watery eyes..............................
Fingernails are sore......................
Runny nose....................................keep tissue with you at all times.
Steroid cheeks............................You have to take steroids twice a day for the first four days of chemo, they are supposed to give you energy and help your body accept the chemo. They seem to make my cheeks flushed and also a little puffy. Not much to do about that.
Loss of appetite..........................just try and eat when you can. Lots of fruits and veggies. Healthy foods!
Pale skin.....................................I try to sit out in the sun for half an hour at a time, it really feels good!
Constipation................................Take stool softeners. Sorry, just being honest.
Muscle/bone aches....................Can take Aleve, but for me it only lasts a few days, so I just try and get through it. Pain killers are constipating, so I opt not to take them, if I can help it.
Chemo brain..................................This is the dark cloud I have been talking about. I do think that the bee pollen is helping somewhat with this, but I can still tell when it comes over my brain and it doesn't leave until about day 9 after chemo.
Fingernails get brittle and break off...........This did not happen until about 1 week after the 5th round. My nails were still sore, but then they started to come away from the skin about half way down the nail. They then started to break off. So far 5 of the 10 nails have come off. So far my toenails are still intact.
Vitamins I am taking:
Calcium
Magnesium
Zinc
Essiac Tea
Fish Oil
Vitamin C
CoQ10
I was taking all of these vitamins at the very beginning. Then, the nutrionist advised me not to take them during chemo. The CoQ10 I was taking to protect my heart, but she said that it protects the cells, which we don't want during chemo. I want the chemo to kill the cells, I don't want to protect any cancer cells. I did continue to do the Essiac tea as I could tolerate it. It really tastes horrible, so some days I just could not stomach it. But I tried. So, I would say, talk to a nutrionist about what vitamins, if any, that you should take during any kind of treatment.
+++First thing in the morning, get up grab your Powerade and water. Drink as much as you can.
+++Get hats, Buffs and wig before your hair falls out.
+++If you are up to it, put on a little makeup. It helps me feel more like me and not so much like a chemo patient!
+++Pack a bag with a blanket, Ritz, chapstick, water, pillow, book, etc. to take with you to your appointments. This has really come in handy for me. Most times I can't concentrate on reading, but sometimes I am sitting there for 2-3 hours, so it is nice to have some options.
+++Buy a great scarf. It's amazing how cold your neck gets without hair. Also, all of the infusions make you feel cold. I rarely leave the house without my scarf around my neck.
Great list Kristen. I am so sorry that you have to go through those things, but I am so amazed by your positive attitude and the grace with which you have endured this trial in your life. I just read an article on yahoo about some natural pain relievers, maybe some of those would be helpful to you. I love you sis.
ReplyDelete