Our journey through Stage IIB, estrogen and HER2 positive breast cancer.
Friday, July 13, 2018
It's back.
Last week I went in for my yearly follow up appointment. I wasn't having any problems, except a little bit of back pain every so often. My oncologist ordered an MRI of the spine just to check. He also ordered a brain scan. The brain scan came back completely normal. Phew! The spine came back showing some metastases and also something suspicious in the liver. An abdominal and pelvic MRI were done a few days later. The abdominal MRI did indeed show that there were metastases in the liver. It was a roller coaster weekend. We all had a good cry.
The next week I had a follow up appointment with my oncologist and we discussed a game plan. I will begin chemotherapy on July 25th, the day before my birthday. They initially wanted to start on the 26th, but I just didn't want to have chemotherapy be my birthday present. So, the 25th it is. I will do 6 rounds, one round every three weeks. This was the same as I did the first go around in 2012. I was only able to complete 5 out of the 6 rounds. I am hoping that this time will not be as difficult and I will be able to do the full regimen.
This morning I am going to the hospital to get a liver biopsy and to get a port put in. The liver biopsy is to see if the cancer has the same characteristics as before, Her2+ and estrogen receptor positive. It is a CT guided biopsy. The port was a lifesaver last time, so I am anxious to get it again. It saves me from getting poked so many times.
I am feeling good. I don't have any pain. I don't feel any different. In fact, I feel the healthiest that I have been in a long time. I am running every morning. I swim in the pool almost every morning. I have been eating Keto and have lost 30#.
Why this is happening, I just don't know. But, I do know that it is not my time to go yet. I am not finished and I will continue to do all that I can to be healthy and strong. Chemo was brutal last time. I am hoping with a different cocktail this time around it will be a little better.
Thank you to everyone who has helped me feel that we are not alone in this. We have such a great support system. We could not do it without you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment