Well it has been three weeks since surgery. How do I put those weeks into words? The first week I pretty much could not lift my arms up or away from my body very far. Any movement was done slowly. The pain medication makes me feel less pain, but more tired and groggy in my head. So, I really did not want to take it if I didn't have to. But, the first week, medication was a must. Looking back on that first week now, it is funny on how much I really don't remember the details. I do remember those who came to see me, but I probably could not tell you what we talked about. Meg also got some new clothes those first few days after my surgery. Now when I see her in something new, I ask her where she got it and she says, "remember mom....." Ummmm nope... I don't really remember.
I have had a team of help all around me. Mom takes care of all the meals and dishes, making sure everyone is fed, in addition to hundreds of other things she does daily. Dad is busy canning grape juice, fixing boards in the deck, watering and many other duties. Rachelle is my 24-hour on call nurse. She gets me all my medication, tells me when its time to rest, washed my hair, emptied my drains, drives me to all my appointments, makes more appointments, runs the kids to their activities and basically does everything for me that I need help with. It has been AWESOME to have her here. She cheers me up when I am feeling down and I would not have wanted to do this without her.
I go once a week to the plastic surgeon to get more fluid into the expanders. It is a weird sensation, but takes just a few minutes. I can't feel the needle go into the port, but I do get a metallic taste in my mouth as he is putting the saline in. The following two days my skin feels quite tight and tender. Gentle hugs are all I can give right now. I am able to lift my arms higher each day and reposition without too much difficulty. Getting better everyday! Next milestone...driving.
Im glad your family is there to help you.
ReplyDelete