Monday, December 17, 2012

Watch and wait........for now

So, here is a little update on what our treatment plan is.....

The oncologists want me to either do radiation or have a single mastectomy.  I don't want to do radiation, as it would be right over my heart and I already am having heart issues.  With irregular heart beats, fast pulse, etc.  I am taking some medication, which does seem to be helping.  But, now I am very protective of my heart and want it to get stronger, not weaker, by radiation. 

We have decided to do another mammogram in 3 months (March) and see what is happening, if anything.  I am continuing the Herceptin therapy, which is supposed to block those receptors and cells from reproducing.  I am also going to begin Tamoxifen after the first of the year.  This should shut down my ovaries, so that I no longer produce estrogen.  Which sounds crazy right??!  Well, my cancer LOVES estrogen.  So, it makes sense to deprive it of its true love.  I should expect some serious hot flashes.  So if you see me after the first of the year and I am all flushed, you will know why! :)  I know this medication has a lot of controversy over it, but I am going to give it a try and hope that my body will tolerate it well. 

We feel good about waiting to do a mastectomy at the moment.  Of course, it is always available for me if something does come up in one of the mammograms.  I pray that this is the right decision and that this cancer thing was just a "catastrophic event", as my doctor put it. 

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers, I KNOW that they have helped us get through this.  We could not have done it without all of you.  THANK YOU!

Have a very Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in !! We think of you often! Much love and have a great Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all watching and waiting with you!! Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and I know that you will be guided to make those good decisions Kris.

    ReplyDelete