The liver biopsy results came back and the cancer cells are Estrogen receptor positive, but HER2 negative. This changes the game plan a bit. Prior to knowing this, the plan was to have chemotherapy which consisted of Herceptin, which is designed for HER2 positive cancer cells. Since this time the cells are HER2 negative, it will not work.
The new plan is to have a monthly injection of Xgeva, and take two pills orally. The first one is an estrogen blocker called Exemestane 25mg. The cancer cells feed off of estrogen, so this will reduce the estrogen that my body produces even more. In the past I had my ovaries removed for the same reason, to reduce the amount of estrogen in my body. The other pill is Palbociclib/Ibrance. It is made specifically for breast cancer metastases and to try and limit its growth. The schedule is take it for 21 days on and then 7 days off--repeat.
I had my first injection and started the Exemestane last week. I still feel good, only difference I noticed is fatigue. I took the first Palbociclib pill this morning--starting my 21 days. Not sure what side effects I will have, I guess time will tell.
Wish me luck!
You just have to love the names of medications. I wish you luck!!!
ReplyDeleteMy dear Kristen. Keep praying for you and your family. Hugs at the distance.
ReplyDelete