Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Last Herceptin treatment

Yesterday was my last IV Herceptin treatment.  No more going to the cancer center and sitting for 2-3 hours while a bag of fluids and medicine is pumped into me.  On one hand I am so excited, but on the other I have felt so lucky to be able to get the Herceptin.  It is an amazing medicine that keeps the cancer cells from reproducing.  So in a way I feel a little nervous that I won't be getting that anymore.  But, research shows that you only need it for one year.  So that is what I have done. 
  In June I will schedule to get my ovaries out.  Should be an outpatient procedure.  Also in June I can get my port out!  I think I am most excited about that!  It will feel like my treatment is truly over and I can move forward when I don't have this foreign thing under my skin.  But, just so you all know, if any of you ever have to have treatment, please get a port.  It makes your life so much easier. 
  I will need to do another mammogram in September and then after that just do them yearly.  Of course I will be checking for anything growing constantly.  :)  You know, before this past year I did not know what I was even checking for when I was told to do self exams.  Without going too far into it, my advice would be to feel for anything that is hard.  What I felt was something harder than my normal muscle/tissue.  I  am so thankful that we decided to go get it checked, just to see, if I had ignored it, then my cancer story would have been very different.  I had only felt it for maybe 2-3 weeks before I went in and in that time I was already stage IIB.  Much longer and it would have spread to my lymph nodes and who knows where else.  So, again, my advice to each of you is if you notice something different and it feels a little hard, go get it checked.  It is probably nothing, but just in case it isn't, you will be glad that you went in early. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment